Monday, July 16, 2012

Garden Rookie: Update!

It is SO hot outside!! Temps 100+ are pretty miserable when you have two little bitty kids that can't take the heat very well.  It is however really good for the garden.  I have had to water it a whole lot to keep those plants alive but they have been thriving in the hot and moist air.  I currently have green beans, okra, corn, tomatoes, cilantro and squash growing very very rapidly!  I have about 6 squash plants and have gotten a ton of fruit from them.  My green beans have been growing really well also.  I have not had to buy fresh veggies from the grocery story in over a month.  I have gotten recipes from the Pioneer woman for squash, fresh green beans, and apples fritters.  The first okra and apples of the season were picked this last week.  Andrew LOVES okra.  I'm exciting to get cooking and canning!  Here are some pictures from the past few weeks:

Last Friday's view of the garden.  Left to right: Tomato, Cilantro, Green Beans, Okra, Cucumber, Squash, & Corn.

Cucumber on the vine!
Green beans for dinner straight from the garden! (cell phone picture)
Harvested squash! (cell phone picture)

First apples of the season! (cell phone picture)

Pioneer woman, Apple Fritters!! Deep fry me and call me Paula... YUMMO!! (cell phone picture)

No comments: